- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar (organic is recommended)
- Sheep feta cheese
- Sea salt
- Rinse the mushrooms gently, and pat them dry.
- Remove stems and set mushrooms aside. (Simply grab hold of the stems and snap off. You may set these aside to chop up and use in another recipe.)
- Blend together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, chopped garlic and shallots in a bowl. Season with sea salt.
- Brush mushrooms with this blend on both sides and let stand for 15 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Wipe it with some oil.
- Prepare pesto. You can use a store bought one, or use my pecan pesto recipe below.
- Place mushrooms, smooth side up on grill over medium high heat and cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Then flip and spoon 2 tablespoons pesto mixture into each mushroom cap and spread evenly. Crumble some feta cheese on top and cook for another few minutes.
- You will know the grilled portabello mushrooms are done when they turn a darker color and looked shrunken
Serve hot and enjoy.
Pesto recipe - non dairy
- 1 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup finely ground pecans
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
Rinse and tear basil leaves in half. Put all ingredients into a blender and process. Recipe makes enough for a pound of pasta, whole wheat pasta provides more nutrition.