Gluten, sugar and dairy free, low GI, low Carb, higher protein and still delicious. When you feel like a sweet treat to lift your winter spirits reach for one of these healthy Low GI cookies made with chick pea flour and xylitol . This healthy cookie will leave you more satisfied and won't lead to a massive sugar high that causes mood swings.
- 250g unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- 500g chickpea (besan) flour
- 1 cup raw shelled unsalted pistachio nuts
- 60ml (1/4 cup) macadamia oil
- 120g (1/2 cup) xylitol
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 5 tsps ground cardamom
- In a bowl, combine melted butter, oil, xylitol, cardamom and vanilla.
- Slowly add flour, turning the mixture over until a crumbly dough forms.
- Knead the dough (it will break apart but keep pushing the mixture together for about 5 minutes).
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a thickness of ¼ inch. Press out cookies with a cutter. Use a spatula to lift them off the bench and onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Press a pistachio nut into the centre of each cookie and leave the trays aside for 20 minutes to set. While the cookies are setting, preheat the oven to 160C (conventional oven).
- After 30 minutes, put the trays into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven, cover with a clean cloth and leave out overnight to help the cookies crisp up, then store in an air tight container.
- Makes 50 (using a 6cm diameter circular cookie cutter)
This is a very crumbly dough, you may need to use your hands to push the dough together before you press out the cookies. The spatula helps to keep the dough together when transporting from bench to baking tray. Once cooked, the cookie dough is stabilized and forms a lovely cookie texture.