Bean Curry Masala
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2/3 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala or chana masala blend
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of asafoetida(hing)
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped small
- 1 inch ginger chopped (can be substituted with ginger paste)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped (can be substituted with garlic paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of green chili chopped or to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans or equivalent dry kidney beans, soaked overnight, drained and pressure cooked for 3-4 whistles until tender(about 1.5 cups cooked)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon rock salt/black salt
- 1/4 teaspoon raw sugar
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and heat on medium heat. Add onions.
- Cook until onions are translucent. Add in the spices, kashmiri garam masala, bay leaf, asofetida, chili, ginger, garlic and mix well for half a minute.
- Add in the chopped tomato and cook on medium low, partially covered with occasional stirring for 10-12 minutes, till tomatoes are mushy and leave the sides of the pan.
- Add in the salt, sugar and red kidney beans and 1 to 1.5 cups of water according to consistency you want for the curry. Adjust for salt and spice.
- Mash some of the kidney beans with the spatula and Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles. (20 minutes at high pressure.)
- Serve hot topped with lemon wedges, cilantro, garam masala and Rotis or fresh Basmati rice. Quick and fun everyday Kidney beans curry.