Apple cider vinegar is an ingredient I believe everyone can benefit from having in their homes at all times. It is truly one of the most versatile and useful household items you can have. From aiding digestion, healing skin issues to adding sparkle and shine to your home without the need for chemicals, there is very little this wonder substance cannot do. How its made. Apple cider vinegar is a vinegar made by fermenting apples in water. This us usually done over a 7-8 month period. It may be naturally fermented, or bacteria and yeast may be added to start the fermentation process. The resulting liquid is the vinegar you are used to seeing in your grocery store isles. It can come with or without the “mother” which is basically a combination of cellulose and bacteria that is formed during the fermentation process. For best results, go for unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, especially if you are using it on your body or taking it internally because it will retain all of the goodness that apple cider vinegar has to offer.
1. Add Flavor to Salad Dressings: Apple cider vinegar is an amazing acid to add to salad dressings in leu of more processed vinegars like white vinegar.
2. Add Brightness to Soups and Stews: Apple cider vinegar will add an amazing bright flavor when added to soups and stews at the end of cooking or when blended into raw soups and stews.
3. Help Cleanse Your Liver: You may have heard of drinking lemon water to cleanse the liver first thing in the morning, but did you know that apple cider vinegar works just as well? You can use a tablespoon or so in a cup of warm water first thing in the morning for its cleansing effects.
4. Facial Toner: You can dilute 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in 4 tbsp water and dab on the skin with a cotton ball or pad.
5. Help Reduce Age Spots: You can dab some pure apple cider vinegar on age spots and leave on skin over night to help reduce discoloration.
6. Help Reduce Acne Scars: You can apply apple cider vinegar to acne scars and leave it on as you sleep at night to help reduce their appearance.
7. Help Ease a Sunburn: You can place 1-2 cups of apple cider vinegar into a warm bath to help reduce the discomfort of sunburnt skin.
8. Ease Acid Reflux: This may seem counterintuitive, but hear me out. Most of the time acid reflux is due to having too little stomach acid rather than having too much. The reason that this causes acid reflux is this: If you do not have enough stomach acid, the receptor cells in your stomach will not send a message to your brain that its time to close the sphincter at the top of your stomach. This means as you are digesting your food some of it may wash back up your throat causing the pain of acid reflux. In these situations you can take a shot of apple cider vinegar when you are experiencing the pain to help increase the acid content in your stomach which will then activate the message to close the sphincter. You can also take a shot of apple cider vinegar before you eat as a preventative measure.
9. Possible Triglyceride Reduction: Sipping 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in 2 cups of water over several months may help to lower triglyceride levels in the blood. This effect is thought to be due to the acetic acid content of the vinegar.
10. Stabilize weight: The acetic acid that can help lower triglyceride levels may also help to decrease body fat stores when taken over a prolonged period of time. Again use the 2 tsp in 2 cups of water taken daily.
11. Help Balance Blood Sugar Levels: There have been some studies that have shown that taking 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar before bed helped those dealing with diabetes to lower their blood glucose levels by 4-6% during the night.
12. Reduce dandruff: Use a dilution of 2 parts water to 1 part apple cider vinegar as a hair and scalp rinse to reduce dandruff. It may also help to add some shine to your hair.
13. Kill Bacteria That Cause Bad Breath: Apple cider vinegar can help to freshen your breath by helping to kill any bacteria that may be present in your mouth.
14. Clean your Dentures: If you have dentures, you can soak them in a 2:1 water to apple cider vinegar solution over night to help keep them clean and bacteria free.
15. Kidney Cleanse: Apple cider vinegar can aid in the cleansing of the kidneys when taken on a regular basis. It will work when taken with food, as a drink that contains 1 tsp of vinegar for every cup of water or as a supplement.
16. Reduce Arthritis Pain: Take apple cider vinegar to help reduce the inflammation that is associated with arthritis, as well as reducing the pain that comes with it.
17. Balance Body pH: Apple cider vinegar can be taken internally as a way of alkalizing the system. This may seem strange since vinegar is acidic outside of the body, but post digestion it is actually alkalizing for the system.
18. Help Treat Gout: Apple cider vinegar can be used in a well rounded treatment plan to help relieve gout.
19. Fight Infection: Apple cider vinegar can help your body to fight off any infection that may be trying to take hold of your body. It is especially good at clearing sinus infections.
20. Beat Allergies and Asthma: The oral administration of apple cider vinegar can help to clear mucus and relieve bronchial swelling helping to reduce symptoms of allergies and asthma.
21. Treat Nail Fungus: You can administer apple cider vinegar topically to nail beds to help cleanse them of fungus.
22. Sooth Bug Bites: Dab a cotton ball that has been soaked in apple cider vinegar on bug bites and other minor skin irritations to help sooth and relieve pain and swelling.
23. Kill a Wart: To help treat a wart, soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and then secure it to your wart with a bandaid. Leave it on over night or through your day (if you don’t mind the smell.) Repeat this treatment until your wart is cleared.
24. Reduce The Appearance of a Bruise: You can apply apple cider vinegar topically to a bruise to help reduce the appearance and speed healing time.
25. Fight Overall Inflammation: Due to its alkalizing properties, apple cider vinegar has the ability to help fight inflammation all over the body.
26. Relieve Constipation: Apple cider vinegar can help to loosen the bowels in the same way that lemon juice can. Take a shot or two when feeling a little backed up to help your system flush out.
27. Aid Sleep: Taking 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar along with some honey in a cup of warm water can help ease insomnia and create a peaceful nights rest.
28. Unblock Sinuses: Taking a shot or two of apple cider vinegar when you are feeling stuffed up can help to promote sinus drainage.
29. Promote Healthy Gut Bacteria: If you have been travelling, have taken antibiotics or are overly stressed, supplementing your diet with some apple cider vinegar may help to feed your all important stores of good bacteria, providing them with food to grow and flourish.
30. Use as a Disinfectant: You can apply apple cider vinegar to wounds to help clean them and prevent infection.
31. Clean Your House: Apple cider vinegar can be mixed with water and used to clean the bathroom, the kitchen, countertops and the floors. If you mix it with baking soda you can even use it to help clean your pipes!
32. Brighten Dishes Without Salt: If you are trying to reduce your consumption of table salt and excess sodium, apple cider vinegar is a great substitute. Sprinkle some apple cider vinegar on rice, quinoa, cooked and raw veggies and other savory dishes to help bring out the bright flavors of the dish.
33. Fabric Softener: If you are sensitive to the chemicals in traditional fabric softener you can use 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar in your wash to help condition your clothes.
34. Whiten Teeth: You can use apple cider vinegar to help remove stains from your teeth. Simply rub your teeth with a cotton swab that has been soaked in apple cider vinegar to reveal your sparkly whites!
35. Get Rid of Fleas on your Furry Friends: Dilute apple cider vinegar by 50% in water and use a spray bottle to spray the mixture onto your pets fir. Rub in and let dry. You can also spray this mixture on your furniture to remove fleas that may have been transferred from your pet. Wow! So many uses for one little household ingredient!